One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a pacifist movement.‘an exchange of issues from the peaceniks to the environmentalists’‘they arrested anyone who looked like a peacenik’
- ‘It's payback time, and even former peaceniks have gotten in touch with their inner patriot.’
- ‘Both peaceniks and warmongers can offer the bromide of tranquillity, and, for different reasons, both have.’
- ‘It turns out that even Vermont peaceniks didn't sympathize with his views.’
- ‘I don't mind peaceniks as long as they are consistent peaceniks.’
- ‘Call me an idealistic peacenik, but I don't see the difference: If you don't want to have your soldiers killed, don't send them in the first place.’
- ‘But isolation is a disaster for peaceniks, because there is no way peace can happen without the world's help.’
- ‘In days gone by, marching against war was generally seen as something that lefties, peaceniks and pinkos did.’
- ‘The peaceniks, so vocal in the presence of a conservative government, will always continue to be so.’
- ‘Your track record is one of pacifism and peacenik activism.’
- ‘The mainstream peaceniks have made it clear that Dictators and Despots are to be tolerated, and Republicanism is to be blamed for all else.’
- ‘How shady it is that our modern leftists and peaceniks can detect fascism absolutely everywhere except when it is actually staring them in the face.’
- ‘It was a terrible lie, but it reinforced what the leaders of the peacenik movement had been saying for several years.’
- ‘This was 1971, so these were peaceniks, civil rights activists, and anti-war activists.’
- ‘Yes, we're liberal lefty peaceniks, if you say so.’
- ‘The communists must have been paying me to be a peacenik!’
- ‘After all, the government position is that it's only the peaceniks who are demanding thorough inquiries.’
- ‘It should be pointed out that for the most part, we're not peaceniks or even pacifists.’
1960s: from peace + -nik.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.