One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A conference or series of discussions aimed at ending hostilities.
- ‘Moreover, even though peace talks are in progress, the government is still building up its military.’
- ‘Sudan may well agree to stop this military expansion after further peace talks this month.’
- ‘Rebels walked out of peace talks and withdrew from a seven-month ceasefire last August.’
- ‘His new government will not resume peace talks until the violence comes under control.’
- ‘She declared the ceasefire to be illegal and cooperated with the military to undermine the peace talks.’
- ‘Can we say that the major powers intervened to arrange these peace talks?’
- ‘Isn't calling off peace talks because of a bombing just giving them what they want?’
- ‘The US may be tempted to try and impose a new round of peace talks on the region.’
- ‘On Monday, the rebels issued five demands to the government to be met for resumption of the peace talks.’
- ‘The government has had two rounds of peace talks with the rebels, but a third round is unlikely soon.’
- ‘These political conditions form the context for the peace talks and negotiations to seek a settlement to the war.’
- ‘Reopening the bus service is the latest in a series of steps aimed at laying the groundwork for formal peace talks.’
- ‘More than a dozen separate peace talks have failed to restore order and a central government.’
- ‘The plans for an interim government will be high on the agenda of the upcoming peace talks.’
- ‘As the peace talks progressed, they have conceded to settle for regional autonomy.’
- ‘The warring factions resume peace talks at the United Nations today.’
- ‘The rebels held two rounds of peace talks with the previous government.’
- ‘Your argument to justify your opposition to the peace talks is puerile.’
- ‘They said peace talks with the rebels can best be held by a government appointed by the parliament, not by the king.’
- ‘It is supposed to be very like the one our princess was wearing when she was abducted at the peace talk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.