Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A sign of peace made by holding up the hand with palm out-turned and the first two fingers extended in a V-shape.
- ‘While being led away, he gave the peace sign to family members.’
- ‘She flashed a peace sign as she came on stage.’
- ‘And he kept holding up his fingers, I thought, in the peace sign.’
- ‘‘Relax man,’ one of the protesters called, flashing him a peace sign and a lopsided smile.’
- ‘People in cars at the intersections honked their horns and many gave the peace sign.’
- ‘You know the one - the cute little thing sitting on daddy's shoulders, making the peace sign, and wearing a costume bomb belt.’
- ‘After five or so songs, he flashes a peace sign and walks off the stage.’
- ‘And so, the next day, we crossed paths and you gave a peace sign and I smiled and pointed in reply.’
- ‘The photo below shows a group of high school students giving the peace sign.’
- ‘The woman makes the peace sign with her right hand, and while the officer has his arm around her, his pose doesn't convey affection or grace.’
- ‘All along the march the police were being provocative while my sister and I held up our hands in a peace sign.’
- ‘As she waved to the crowd, she held up another finger, making the peace sign.’
- ‘Up until this point I had virtually ignored the police, just thrown up an occasional peace sign to them every now and then.’
- ‘He held up two fingers in an incredulous peace sign.’
- ‘Police threatened to break the arms and fingers of any protester who held up a peace sign and none were given any food until 10 a.m. the next day.’
- ‘He extends his first two fingers, creating the peace sign.’
- ‘In it he sits to my left, holding a slice of pizza in his mouth with his right hand while using the other to form a peace sign.’
- ‘Perched on her grandma's shoulders, an apple-cheeked 5-year-old flashes a peace sign.’
- ‘‘Make peace not war,’ Adele added and made her fingers into a peace sign.’
- ‘They smiled, and many gave me a ‘thumbs-up’ sign or a peace sign.’
2A figure representing peace, in the form of a circle with one line bisecting it from top to bottom and two shorter lines radiating downward on either side.
- ‘Here, a ‘group of bicycle enthusiasts’ form a peace sign in a park in Vancouver, B.C.’
- ‘I drew a little peace sign with my black sharpie.’
- ‘A teacher in another nephew's school is fired for wearing a T-shirt with a peace sign on it.’
- ‘And very much in keeping with the pacifist mood in Germany at the moment, the message was superimposed on a 60s peace sign.’
- ‘Maybe put something cool off to the side like Hendrix or Marley or a peace sign or something.’
- ‘An ecumenical service was held on the Sunday morning, participants marking their foreheads with the sign of the cross, the peace sign, and the anarchist symbol.’
- ‘They argued with me over the logo - they thought the bomb was ‘too violent’ and wanted to paint a peace sign on it.’
- ‘She had a tattoo of the peace sign on her upper back, and had gone on a highly enjoyable tour of Europe when she was fourteen.’
- ‘She wore jeans with peace signs on them, a sweater with peace signs on it, and peace sign earrings.’
- ‘It consists of a large wall-hung peace sign made of metal tubing.’
- ‘I want to be like her and paint a big peace sign on the side of a school or something.’
- ‘In Central Park, the demonstrators formed a human peace sign and faced a stage on the west side of a large open field.’
- ‘In this case, it was the story of a woman who had aroused the anger of her neighbours by putting a peace sign on her apartment door after the attacks.’
- ‘A few Sundays ago a large white van from Tennessee with a flag and peace sign painted on it circled the vigil and then parked.’
- ‘The three companies had apparently hired youths to illegally spray paint stencils of a peace sign on city streets and sidewalks.’
- ‘In Hungary, protesters holding blazing torches formed a human peace sign in Budapest's Heroes' Square.’
- ‘There were peace signs everywhere, a dream catcher on top of her bed and there was all this funky music.’
- ‘And right above those two words was the peace sign from the anti-nuclear campaign of the early 1960s.’
- ‘The red flag is too bloodied by history; the peace sign is a retro fashion accessory.’
- ‘The school bus has been renovated with flowers and peace signs painted on the side.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.