One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on a website) an arrangement whereby access is restricted to users who have paid to subscribe to the site.
- ‘Techdirt puts up a paywall, and up and coming copyright blogs can now fly under its wings, by stealing that paywall content!’
- ‘Then, sometimes, after some time of free availability the content may be moved back behind the paywall into some kind of archive.’
- ‘The New York Times has finally killed its paywall.’
- ‘Assuming this rate holds, you can turn 1,000,000 daily visitors into 50 paying visitors with a paywall.’
- ‘Solutions bandied about include digital subscriptions (a la Wall Street Journal and Financial Times), pay walls and micropayments.’
- ‘Actually, you're right… their site also uses breakable URLs and puts everything behind a pay wall.’
- ‘And don't think some smart media execs and entrepreneurs aren't salivating over the opportunity of some major publications to go behind the paywall.’
- ‘But it will only be temporary: the thing about a paywall is that you want people to keep paying.’
- ‘Implementing a newspaper paywall is a comparatively straightforward task.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the articles are all behind paywalls.’
- ‘Please, please, please, please, please DO put all of your incestuous pro-state propaganda masquerading as news behind a paywall.’
- ‘It could have done what you say while still keeping some print columnists and the archives behind a paywall.’
- ‘Being a former medical professional I can tell you locking up research info behind paywalls is a heinous crime!’
- ‘The full story is behind a paywall.’
- ‘Recap is not the first to liberate these documents from behind the paywall.’
- ‘The Wall Street Journal did a story today - behind the pay wall - about Hollywood squeezing above-the-title movie actors in light of the current economic system.’
- ‘I'm not saying whether they should or shouldn't use paywalls or anything like that.’
- ‘The paywall is one kind of black curtain: this is a more deadly one.’
- ‘Why did they take down the pay wall?’
- ‘The irony here though is that Techdirt, having preached against such paywalls, goes and sets one up itself!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.