Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person to whom money is paid or is to be paid, especially the person to whom a cheque is made payable.
heir, heiress, inheritor, legateeView synonyms
- ‘As well, some of the cash was used to cover an overdraft of the company in the amount of $2,102.34 and the rest was paid by way of two cheques to undisclosed payees.’
- ‘Whether it can reclaim the moneys from the payee is a different matter.’
- ‘Then PayPal charges your credit card and notifies the payee via email about your payment.’
- ‘Everything was tailored to fit the amount and payee of the cheque.’
- ‘Your bank's site will walk you through the steps of registering the accounts you wish to pay bills from and the payee accounts you wish to send money to.’
- ‘Therefore the recipient and the payee were obscured.’
- ‘There were 26 cheques made out to a range of payees, none of whom received that money and the record on the stubs differed to the payee on the cheque.’
- ‘Thirty seven percent of these public servants belong to a union and their defined benefit plans are an obligation of the payee by law.’
- ‘Disbursements schedules show names of payees, and date and purpose of payments.’
- ‘The customer complained to the ombudsman last year after sending a cheque, which named him as the payee but was uncrossed, to his bank.’
- ‘The tax treatment of assets received by an alternate payee is determined by the relationship of the alternate payee to the participant.’
- ‘He left the payee line of the cheque blank.’
- ‘She investigated the matter further, and discovered that she hadn't written the payee in on the cheque.’
- ‘One must allocate any tax cut to the biggest payees, to have any impact.’
- ‘When a refund cheque is presented to a bank, the bank will cross-check the name and identity details of the payee on the cheque against the bank's own record on the account holder.’
- ‘Donations can be made through an account payee cheque.’
- ‘On the other hand, there were dispositions of the company's money between the company and the payees of the cheques.’
- ‘Representative payees helped respondents manage money and pay rent in a timely fashion.’
- ‘In not one of these aforementioned cases did the payee admit one ounce of guilt!’
- ‘When payments were made by cheque, the thing in action represented by the cheque belonged to the payee not the drawer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.