Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A grade or level on a pay scale.‘workers are to be balloted by the union for a proposed strike over the secretaries' pay grades’
- ‘There are clearly gains from trade to be had by handing that unfortunate job off to someone at a lower pay grade.’
- ‘They concluded that drug users advanced less rapidly in pay grade than nonusers.’
- ‘Our efforts examine workforce characteristics such as occupational specialty, experience and retirement eligibility, educational attainment and pay grade.’
- ‘The ordnanceman picked for the award is usually from the E-5 or E-6 pay grade with 9 to 13 years of active duty service.’
- ‘I vowed never again to let anyone talk me into doing something dumb, no matter how much they outranked me by pay grade or flight time.’
- ‘With time, he'll work his way into a higher pay grade with more responsibility.’
- ‘The top of their pay grade is a paltry £13,500.’
- ‘The new offer means that from this April the pay grade will start at £4.60 an hour for new workers.’
- ‘But what really did it for me was the day they told me what my pay grade was.’
- ‘"Nobody told me my waiver had an expiration date or was good through only a certain pay grade," she said.’
- ‘She then retaliated against the offender and moved her from a $1.53/day pay grade to $1.03/day pay grade.’
- ‘The last cycle promoted more than 24,000 Sailors to their next pay grade.’
- ‘Cook joined the Marines as a grunt, at the lowest pay grade.’
- ‘Brad and I overlapped at Treasury - and his pay grade was much higher than mine.’
- ‘The contract also reclassifies secretaries, library and teaching assistants in a higher pay grade.’
- ‘The salaries of the remaining employees will be cut with the size of the cut depending on the pay grade.’
- ‘They operate without taxpayer dollars, basing rates for the facilities by rank and pay grade of the visiting service member.’
- ‘It could perhaps up her pay grade a bit.’
- ‘Charles's intelligence, such as it is, exceeds his pay grade.’
- ‘Two dozen of those firefighters were seeking enhanced pension because they reported injury while filling in for a superior at a higher pay grade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.