One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A demand for an increase in pay, especially one made by a trade union.‘they stepped up industrial action in support of their pay claim’
- ‘They had voted massively to take strike action in support of a pay claim for 4 percent.’
- ‘Just as exciting was the magnificent 12,000-strong demonstration by firefighters in support of their national pay claim.’
- ‘The union is now moving to hold a full strike ballot in support of the pay claim.’
- ‘Some members of the other four unions involved in the joint pay claim also refused to cross picket lines.’
- ‘Local government workers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland voted to strike in support of a six-per-cent pay claim.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.