One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ticket issued by a pawnbroker in exchange for an article pawned, bearing particulars of the loan.
- ‘We found some money on him and some pawn tickets.’
- ‘The home life of young Jean-Baptiste must be pieced together from old pawn tickets and lists of wedding presents.’
- ‘During the Depression, unemployed veterans attached pawn tickets to their medal ribbons - a potent demonstration of their perceived betrayal.’
- ‘If the draft is accepted, the details on a client's identity card will be recorded on the pawn ticket, to prevent fraud.’
- ‘The archives has the pawn ticket he received when he hocked his binoculars in 1954 for fifteen dollars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.