One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ticket issued by a pawnbroker in exchange for an article pawned, bearing particulars of the loan.
- ‘If the draft is accepted, the details on a client's identity card will be recorded on the pawn ticket, to prevent fraud.’
- ‘The archives has the pawn ticket he received when he hocked his binoculars in 1954 for fifteen dollars.’
- ‘During the Depression, unemployed veterans attached pawn tickets to their medal ribbons - a potent demonstration of their perceived betrayal.’
- ‘The home life of young Jean-Baptiste must be pieced together from old pawn tickets and lists of wedding presents.’
- ‘We found some money on him and some pawn tickets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.