One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Malaysia and Indonesia) a person regarded as having spiritual and healing powers.
medicine man, medicine woman, healerView synonyms
- ‘But most pawang are now over fifty, and young people are no longer training to become pawang.’
- ‘Since the departmental pawang died, the forestry department has had to hire pawang to help track errant tigers.’
- ‘When possible, farmers prefer to have a pawang work in this capacity, a person with special esoteric knowledge.’
- ‘There is also a pawang (shaman), who fasts and meditates to ensure the building is blessed by God.’
- ‘To deal with tiger attacks, the forestry department regularly uses the skills of the pawang.’
- ‘Villagers wanted to poison the tiger, but the local authorities and the village heads sought the help of a traditional tiger expert a pawang.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.