One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A paving stone.
- ‘Ground covers were planted between pavers, lawn between risers.’
- ‘Next, Claudia laid a new walkway of interlocking pavers in a neutral gray color.’
- ‘In place of a round slate paver in the center, you can use a concrete paver embellished with broken glazed tiles in pretty colors.’
- ‘The streets are made up of pavers in different designs.’
- ‘Likewise, the cost of the two types of pavers is relatively similar.’
- ‘The blue chalk lines used to indicate where the pavers are to be cut are visible here.’
- ‘The architect ensured that some rainwater would go into the soil by specifying permeable grid pavers.’
- ‘Replacement or resetting of select pavers on the deck will be done over the next two week period.’
- ‘The surface of the motor court features concrete pavers in a fish-scale pattern.’
- ‘Set the pavers lightly on the sand, never pressing them or hammering them in.’
- ‘The smooth stone pavers of the path are laid with tight seams, which makes for safe footing.’
- ‘We rested for the rest of the afternoon then headed back outside at about 8pm to pull up the pavers.’
- ‘Pavers can then be placed in the desired pattern on top of the sand.’
- ‘The stone pavers are about the length of a human foot.’
- ‘For colored pavers, add powdered or liquid pigment to the concrete mix.’
- ‘One trick is to use tumbled concrete pavers, their raw edges chipped away, to mimic old cobblestones.’
- ‘The angled east wall of the living room invites transition to the east terrace, carried out in terra-cotta pavers.’
- ‘A patio of pavers laid on sand links the teahouse with the pond.’
- ‘The inner dial is constructed of pavers that have been tumbled to give them an ancient look.’
- ‘Concrete pavers, which may appear similar to their clay counterpart on the shelf, are actually a very different product.’
2A person who lays paving or paving stones.
- ‘The road itself lengthens when the pavers put down new asphalt at its terminus.’
- ‘In the later print, the blacksmith is seen brandishing a leg of ham and the Frenchman has been replaced by a paver who fondles a market seller.’
- ‘They are skilled driveway pavers, barn painters and roofers, often with regular seasonal customers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.