One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An artist who draws with coloured chalks on paving stones or paper laid on a pavement to earn money from passers-by.
- ‘As a matter of fact, the sight of pavement artists outside the National Gallery gave me the idea of decorating the vestibule.’
- ‘And, outside on the sidewalk, a pavement artist transforms a wall that was used as a urinal into a religious mural that becomes a public shrine.’
- ‘A pavement artist was ordered to wipe clean the front wall of Pembroke's 200-year-old town hall after his drawing of a colourful serpent annoyed the council.’
- ‘I'd been trudging round the town in a bit of a mood for a while when I came across a pavement artist - a girl about twenty, I guess.’
- ‘A group of young pavement artists took the opportunity to show off their winning talents in the centre of York.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.