Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small flat cake of minced food, especially meat.
- ‘The cooking time for the grilled patties was significantly shorter than for the broiled patties.’
- ‘The sensory characteristics of broiled and grilled bison patties were evaluated by a trained sensory panel.’
- ‘Place patties on grill and cook five minutes per side or until golden brown.’
- ‘To test for taste, make a small patty of the meat mixture and sauté until cooked.’
- ‘Most specialise in such Caribbean favourites as chicken jerky, spicy meat patties and sweetened fried banana.’
- ‘We started with the meat patty, as that was a simple round.’
- ‘"I always come out here, " I said eating my chicken patty.’
- ‘I ordered my usual - two eggs, two pancakes, two sausage patties.’
- ‘To freeze ground meat, shape into patties and wrap individually.’
- ‘I've since worked out that the same principle works well for hamburger patties.’
- ‘She put three frozen hamburger patties into the microwave to defrost them.’
- ‘Then after the beach I went home and cooked, burger patties and roast potatoes!’
- ‘One fellow worked the grill, cooking the patties.’
- ‘Form a ground beef patty and throw it on the grill.’
- ‘He returned a few minutes later with my sausage patties on another plate.’
- ‘The burgers consist of chicken or beef patties sandwiched between two rice cakes.’
- ‘Place patties on grill and cook about eight minutes per side or until cooked through.’
- ‘Using the same pan, fry a small patty of the meat mixture and taste to test the seasoning.’
- ‘You also can buy prepared soy burger patties.’
- ‘The man held out both hands, a cooked hamburger patty in one and the shirt in the other.’
- 1.1 A small pie or pasty.
pastry, flan, tartlet, quiche, strudelView synonyms
- ‘If you're lucky, you'll visit on warm-coconut-rice-cake day, a small rice and coconut patty accompanied by a fresh oval slice of sweet mango.’
- ‘We went nuts for the Key Lime Pie and of course, the coconut patties.’
- ‘The other day mention was being made of plantain tarts and patties on board.’
- ‘Fry the patties in a thin layer of sunflower oil until nicely golden.’
- ‘Jan also makes a delicious range of flans, wraps, fritters and patties in the kitchen of her River Bank Road home.’
- ‘Samaoas are carefully constructed coconut patties with caramel and an intricate chocolate design.’
- ‘I push the pastry down loosely into the patty tins.’
2North American A thin circular chocolate-covered peppermint sweet.
- ‘A man was eating a peppermint patty on his porch and he was shocked by his implantable cardioverter defibrillator, and guess what he doesn't like to eat anymore?’
- ‘Follow the cake directions, substituting halved jelly beans for the spots and a small mint patty for the head.’
- ‘So when I needed a little sugary fix, I always knew that I could stop by my mother's house and grab a licorice twist or peppermint patty.’
- ‘But I left it up to Jackson and he chose strawberry ice cream with peppermint patties mixed in.’
- ‘Suffice to say, I didn't land the job but I had oodles of fun that day, including leaving a dish of individually-wrapped peppermint patties behind for everyone on the interview panel to enjoy!’
Mid 17th century: alteration of French pâté, by association with pasty.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.