Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small flat cake of minced food, especially meat.
- ‘Form a ground beef patty and throw it on the grill.’
- ‘To test for taste, make a small patty of the meat mixture and sauté until cooked.’
- ‘One fellow worked the grill, cooking the patties.’
- ‘The burgers consist of chicken or beef patties sandwiched between two rice cakes.’
- ‘I've since worked out that the same principle works well for hamburger patties.’
- ‘Then after the beach I went home and cooked, burger patties and roast potatoes!’
- ‘You also can buy prepared soy burger patties.’
- ‘The man held out both hands, a cooked hamburger patty in one and the shirt in the other.’
- ‘The cooking time for the grilled patties was significantly shorter than for the broiled patties.’
- ‘Most specialise in such Caribbean favourites as chicken jerky, spicy meat patties and sweetened fried banana.’
- ‘"I always come out here, " I said eating my chicken patty.’
- ‘To freeze ground meat, shape into patties and wrap individually.’
- ‘We started with the meat patty, as that was a simple round.’
- ‘The sensory characteristics of broiled and grilled bison patties were evaluated by a trained sensory panel.’
- ‘Place patties on grill and cook five minutes per side or until golden brown.’
- ‘She put three frozen hamburger patties into the microwave to defrost them.’
- ‘Using the same pan, fry a small patty of the meat mixture and taste to test the seasoning.’
- ‘He returned a few minutes later with my sausage patties on another plate.’
- ‘I ordered my usual - two eggs, two pancakes, two sausage patties.’
- ‘Place patties on grill and cook about eight minutes per side or until cooked through.’
- 1.1A small pie or pasty.
pastry, flan, tartlet, quiche, strudelView synonyms
- ‘I push the pastry down loosely into the patty tins.’
- ‘Jan also makes a delicious range of flans, wraps, fritters and patties in the kitchen of her River Bank Road home.’
- ‘We went nuts for the Key Lime Pie and of course, the coconut patties.’
- ‘If you're lucky, you'll visit on warm-coconut-rice-cake day, a small rice and coconut patty accompanied by a fresh oval slice of sweet mango.’
- ‘Samaoas are carefully constructed coconut patties with caramel and an intricate chocolate design.’
- ‘The other day mention was being made of plantain tarts and patties on board.’
- ‘Fry the patties in a thin layer of sunflower oil until nicely golden.’
2North American A thin circular chocolate-covered peppermint sweet.
- ‘Suffice to say, I didn't land the job but I had oodles of fun that day, including leaving a dish of individually-wrapped peppermint patties behind for everyone on the interview panel to enjoy!’
- ‘A man was eating a peppermint patty on his porch and he was shocked by his implantable cardioverter defibrillator, and guess what he doesn't like to eat anymore?’
- ‘Follow the cake directions, substituting halved jelly beans for the spots and a small mint patty for the head.’
- ‘But I left it up to Jackson and he chose strawberry ice cream with peppermint patties mixed in.’
- ‘So when I needed a little sugary fix, I always knew that I could stop by my mother's house and grab a licorice twist or peppermint patty.’
Mid 17th century: alteration of French pâté, by association with pasty.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.