One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book containing samples of patterns and designs of cloth or wallpaper.
- ‘Anyway, I really recommend that you pay a visit to this beautiful store if you're in Southern California, they have really nice things and lots of pattern books.’
- ‘She made life much easier for designers by studying period costumes in intricate detail, researching how they were put together thread by thread, and then turning her findings into a step-by-step pattern book.’
- ‘The library has recently acquired a weaver's pattern book printed in the seventeenth century.’
- ‘To illustrate the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement, the curator chose a pattern book of velvet samples published by Morris and Company in 1890.’
- ‘Two English pattern books published in 1826 demonstrate the absorption of Empire values into the working repertoire of the Regency style.’
- ‘For a basic start-up kit, you'll need a pair of needles, a beginner's pattern book and at least three balls of wool, whether they be soft mohair or your basic Beehive Shetland chunky.’
- ‘Start by looking through pattern books, magazines and even department or chain stores to come up with design and sewing ideas.’
- ‘You would get a man up from London, choose a design from a selection of pattern books, probably Italian, and then he would paint your room.’
- ‘I went to Michael's in hope of finding a knitting pattern book for a hat I liked.’
- ‘Students could copy embroidery designs from a pattern book supplied by their teacher.’
- ‘References to designs in linen weavers' pattern books, dyers' books, and merchants' account or daybooks dating between 1750 and 1850 are also welcome.’
- ‘The pattern can be found in Rowan's Big Wool pattern book (both pictures taken directly from Rowan).’
- ‘You can spend days thumbing through a pattern book estimating wallpaper materials.’
- ‘Matthias Lock is credited with introducing the rococo style to English furniture in the pattern books he published beginning in 1740.’
- ‘She opened the pattern book on the counter and it continued.’
- ‘Fowler's pattern books are excellent and useful.’
- ‘It would replicate any antique fixture a client desired, working from photographs, drawings, or pattern books.’
- ‘Its intricacy and playfulness were disseminated through the many eighteenth-century pattern books to many classes of society.’
- ‘The pattern books are full of vest options and they are not hard to fit, since most of us wear them loose and unbuttoned anyway.’
- ‘More than 200 fabric pattern books are to be sold at £5 each in aid of York Against Cancer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.