One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title deed to a property.
- ‘The District Collector issued 15 house-site pattas and old age pensions to seven persons.’
- ‘The Collector holds weekly grievance day meetings and the public use the occasion to submit petitions seeking pattas or steps to solve civic problems.’
- ‘Our nevad fields in the forest here are three times his patta land.’
- ‘Printouts of certificates and pattas can also be got on payment of Rs.20, which will be treated as valid documents.’
- ‘Among the other recommendations are issuing tree pattas to owners of nearby land, identifying sites for digging 50 tanks, and improving the public transport system.’
Hindi, perhaps from Sanskrit pattra ‘document’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.