One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protecting or guiding saint of a person or place.
- ‘Each city in Nicaragua has its own patron saint and some saints may be shared between towns.’
- ‘Saint Devote, the patron saint of Monaco, is venerated in a ritual held on 27 January every year.’
- ‘Also, Saint George, who later became the patron saint of England, lived in Lebanon.’
- ‘As a special tribute to our patron saint, St George, the barmaid gave us all sausages to eat with brown sauce and tomato ketchup.’
- ‘This coming Saturday is St. David's Day, the feast day of the patron saint of Wales.’
- ‘The pilgrim route is associated with St James the apostle, the patron saint of Spain.’
- ‘Martha, in contrast to her sister who sat at the feet of Jesus, is the patron saint of multitasking.’
- ‘Rural villages have a patron saint who is honored each year with a fiesta.’
- ‘Saint Nick was famous for his generous gifts to the poor and later became the patron saint of children.’
- ‘We could even name it after a British patron saint, such as George.’
- ‘She should be canonized as the patron saint of people who struggle with faith.’
- ‘The latter group is named after the patron saint of musicians, following his own vision of the saint when he was on his sick bed.’
- ‘Mother insisted that William and I each say a prayer to Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travellers.’
- ‘One neighbor has even put out a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals.’
- ‘Saint Luke was the patron saint of painters so it was natural for the guild to have such a picture.’
- ‘He was a devout catholic and was always writing prayers to his patron saint, Saint Rita of lost causes.’
- ‘He pledged that if his heavily outnumbered army were victorious, he would make St Andrew the patron saint of his people.’
- ‘He was martyred after refusing to persecute Christians and became a patron saint of soldiers.’
- ‘Grottoes to the Virgin Mary or a patron saint are found on school campuses.’
- ‘Maybe it is time to mark our patron saint's day with a holiday, but maybe it is also time to rethink our national holidays completely.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.