One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protecting or guiding saint of a person or place.
- ‘Martha, in contrast to her sister who sat at the feet of Jesus, is the patron saint of multitasking.’
- ‘We could even name it after a British patron saint, such as George.’
- ‘Saint Devote, the patron saint of Monaco, is venerated in a ritual held on 27 January every year.’
- ‘She should be canonized as the patron saint of people who struggle with faith.’
- ‘He was martyred after refusing to persecute Christians and became a patron saint of soldiers.’
- ‘Rural villages have a patron saint who is honored each year with a fiesta.’
- ‘Saint Luke was the patron saint of painters so it was natural for the guild to have such a picture.’
- ‘Mother insisted that William and I each say a prayer to Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travellers.’
- ‘Also, Saint George, who later became the patron saint of England, lived in Lebanon.’
- ‘One neighbor has even put out a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals.’
- ‘He pledged that if his heavily outnumbered army were victorious, he would make St Andrew the patron saint of his people.’
- ‘Each city in Nicaragua has its own patron saint and some saints may be shared between towns.’
- ‘The latter group is named after the patron saint of musicians, following his own vision of the saint when he was on his sick bed.’
- ‘Grottoes to the Virgin Mary or a patron saint are found on school campuses.’
- ‘This coming Saturday is St. David's Day, the feast day of the patron saint of Wales.’
- ‘Maybe it is time to mark our patron saint's day with a holiday, but maybe it is also time to rethink our national holidays completely.’
- ‘Saint Nick was famous for his generous gifts to the poor and later became the patron saint of children.’
- ‘The pilgrim route is associated with St James the apostle, the patron saint of Spain.’
- ‘As a special tribute to our patron saint, St George, the barmaid gave us all sausages to eat with brown sauce and tomato ketchup.’
- ‘He was a devout catholic and was always writing prayers to his patron saint, Saint Rita of lost causes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.