Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of Christian theology that deals with the lives, writings, and doctrines of the early Christian theologians.
- ‘Scripture, patristics, international relations and the history of art are a few examples.’
- ‘His core scholarly work has been in patristics and the history of spirituality, with major works on Arius and St. Teresa of Avila.’
- ‘First of all it has to be said that, according to patristics experts, the iconic nature of priesthood is never used by the church fathers as an argument against the ordination of women as priests.’
- ‘Indeed, if anything, I'd like to see a deeper engagement, including more patristics.’
- ‘And the tradition of patristics teaching being fed into current theological discussion is also showing signs of renewal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.