One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that shows tolerance of delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.‘the assembled hordes waited patiently to get in’‘he patiently explained the pros and cons’
- ‘Patiently, he told me how he got into what we now call stand-up comedy by accident.’
- ‘He has spent an inordinate amount of time patiently communicating how he wants the company to change.’
- ‘He listened patiently, and gave thanks in polite and measured tones.’
- ‘The writings of great masters and new pioneers continue to inspire my artistic journey, and my dancers have patiently travelled along with me.’
- ‘The film patiently follows her through each phase of her initiation into convent life.’
- ‘At the matinee, Emily patiently sat in my lap.’
- ‘He patiently guided my interest in Buddhist art for a decade thereafter.’
- ‘A young man patiently collects cash from each woman, then makes a notation in her loan book.’
- ‘Its struggle to overcome the stigma of stereotyping is captured patiently, yet there is never a dull moment.’
- ‘His scenes with Ruth, whom he's patiently helping to work through her own traumas, are the film's best.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.