Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A series of contiguous genes in a pathogenic microorganism including one or more that determines virulence, acquired by horizontal gene transfer.
- ‘Salmonella can sense bile in the intestine and use it as a signal to downregulate secretion and invasion genes of pathogenicity island.’
- ‘This suggests diversity in mechanisms or specificities of pathogenicity island acquisition.’
- ‘The ability of EPEC to adhere to the cells and produce A / E lesions has been attributed to the genes encoded on the pathogenicity island.’
- ‘Its genetic code is embedded in a complex DNA structure called the TCP pathogenicity island.’
- ‘The genes encoding the attaching and effacing (A / E) phenotype are situated on a 43 kb pathogenicity island.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.