One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the Roman Catholic Church) the Lord's Prayer, especially in Latin.
- ‘Finish with a colloquy to Christ our Lord, and finally a paternoster.’
- ‘My paternoster is a combination of real paternosters in several universal languages from the last three or four centuries, including Esperanto, plus, if I remember correctly, a piece from Gulliver's Travels.’
- ‘I had a contemplation of the sufferings of Christ, and I besought him to let me feel his sorrows with him, and prayed five paternosters in adoration of the five sacred wounds.’
- 1.1 Any of a number of special beads occurring at regular intervals in a rosary, indicating that the Lord's Prayer is to be recited.
2A lift consisting of a series of linked compartments moving continuously on an endless belt.
elevator, hoistView synonyms
- ‘It was not suggested by the appellants, either in evidence or by submission, that there was any second-hand source of paternoster machines.’
- ‘As for rigs, I recommend not having the lead directly on the line, helicopter and in-line styles are a no-no; use a short link ledger or paternoster.’
3A fishing line to which hooks or weights are attached at intervals.
- ‘Livebaits will be fished on a float paternoster, while the deads will be fished on a link ledger.’
- ‘My favourite rig for ledgering has to be the fixed paternoster.’
- ‘For lively baits, such as rudd, I fix the paternoster to the leading treble.’
- ‘When using paternoster rigs I have yet to find a system of safely removing the lead from the rig, because the angle of pull is reversed.’
- ‘The end tackle should consist of a paternoster and it should NOT have a running lead since it is important that as the fish takes the bait, the lead is forced to move.’
- ‘A conventional link-leger is fine, but my favourite rig for these deep holes is the running paternoster.’
- ‘There are several alternative sunken float paternoster rigs, all of which do a reasonable job.’
- ‘The most consistent is a simple paternoster rig using an 18-inch hook snood with two Mustad Viking 4 / hooks on, these rigged one behind the other pennel style.’
- ‘These factors apply whether you are fishing a live bait or a dead bait, whether you are fishing a paternoster or a bottom fished bait - the principle is exactly the same.’
- ‘A small Kamasan black cap feeder loaded with between 15 to 45 grams is used on a six inch paternoster tail.’
- ‘Gordy started out ledgering, I had floats and paternosters.’
- ‘The second rig is a paternoster which can be used with dead or live baits.’
- ‘A one ounce bomb is then fixed to a two foot tail, to form a paternoster rig.’
- ‘My standard approach is to use a paternoster with a 2 foot tail and 3 inch hook length for maximum bite registration.’
Old English, from Latin pater noster ‘our father’, the first words of the Lord's Prayer.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.