One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Leather with a glossy varnished surface, used chiefly for shoes, belts, and handbags.
- ‘His feet were wet, cold and sore - his patent leather shoes offering little protection from snow or terrain.’
- ‘Tori walked out onto the deck, her patent leather shoes clicking on the wood.’
- ‘He's wearing the right gear, too: a dark blue jacket, a black T - shirt, pin-striped trousers and patent leather shoes with shiny silver buckles.’
- ‘Personnel who received patent leather shoes during the trial period can continue to wear these items.’
- ‘If you get patent leather shoes you will probably be the only person there wearing them, so I wouldn't bother.’
- ‘To round the picture off he slips his silk socked feet into black Italian square-toed, patent leather shoes.’
- ‘Opt for black patent leather shoes or simple black leather if you don't want to spend money on a new pair.’
- ‘And can I just say how much I love this patent leather shoe trend?’
- ‘On her feet are black patent leather court shoes with clean soles.’
- ‘Little girls going to Sunday school back in the 60s all wore these little black, patent leather shoes.’
- ‘You still wear see through dress socks & pointy patent leather dress shoes to weddings.’
- ‘Fabrics are conspicuous and exuberant: velvets, patent leather and faux crocodile leather.’
- ‘She slipped her feet into her black patent leather shoes, and admired herself in the mirror.’
- ‘Her two young daughters went to school each day in starched dresses and patent leather shoes.’
- ‘I had removed my patent leather shoes after a while, for they foundered badly in the sand.’
- ‘The focus is not on wearing a fancy Easter bonnet and new patent leather shoes.’
- ‘Formal shoes are made from shiny patent leather; they should also be simple (plain or capped toe) and freshly polished.’
- ‘So unless you're going to the gym or wearing white patent leather shoes with a white tux, there's no reason for you to wear white socks ever again.’
- ‘Wear button-up shirts (paisley if possible) and black patent leather shoes with silver clasps.’
- ‘My patent leather shoes clicked as they hit the pavement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.