One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test to discover whether a person is allergic to any of a range of substances which are applied to the skin in light scratches or under a plaster.
- ‘A patch test (again, on the inside of your wrists) while you're in the store can be a good indication of expected results.’
- ‘But follow the instructions to the letter, and always do a patch test of the cream on your inner arm before using, just to be absolutely sure that it's not going to be too harsh for your skin. £2.59.’
- ‘In addition, a patch test should show a negative result.’
- ‘I am disappointed but it seems a shame to waste the disposable kickers so we agree to do a patch test of the algae wrap and proceed with something else.’
- ‘Michael suggests doing a patch test before to make sure the product doesn't irritate the mucous membranes.’
- ‘A patch test may involve risks because the test can result in contact allergy or anaphylactic shock. (12,16)’
- ‘There's no pain, and the simple ingredients are unlikely to cause a reaction; those with sensitive skin, however, should do a patch test.’
- ‘Most people don't have any adverse reactions, but you should do a patch test.’
- ‘Investigators can also perform the patch test to diagnose natural rubber latex allergy.’
- ‘These can be confirmed by atopy patch tests and food provocation tests.’
- ‘A patch test confirmed that Mr L was having a reaction to latex, and his history indicated that his rashes were increasing in severity.’
- ‘Do a patch test before trying for the first time.’
- ‘During a patch test, your skin may be exposed to 20 to 30 extracts of substances that can cause contact dermatitis.’
- ‘The third kind of skin test is called a patch test.’
- ‘Other testing includes skin injections, patch tests, and an oral provocation test, which is basically a controlled elimination diet with food reintroduced during observation.’
- ‘Diagnosis is made by a health care provider experienced in chemical allergy testing - patch tests commonly are used.’
- ‘The city council says customers should always be given a patch test at least 24 hours before the treatment but the second victim says this is not enough.’
- ‘The Clairol Nice and Easy dye contains a patch test which aims to prevent the people who are allergic to the product from using it.’
- ‘Follow instructions on the bleach kit for doing a small patch test.’
- ‘As with any new oils and blends that you use, you must check all safety data for the oils in your blend and do a skin patch test prior to using.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.