One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test to discover whether a person is allergic to any of a range of substances which are applied to the skin in light scratches or under a plaster.
- ‘Follow instructions on the bleach kit for doing a small patch test.’
- ‘Do a patch test before trying for the first time.’
- ‘But follow the instructions to the letter, and always do a patch test of the cream on your inner arm before using, just to be absolutely sure that it's not going to be too harsh for your skin. £2.59.’
- ‘Other testing includes skin injections, patch tests, and an oral provocation test, which is basically a controlled elimination diet with food reintroduced during observation.’
- ‘Michael suggests doing a patch test before to make sure the product doesn't irritate the mucous membranes.’
- ‘During a patch test, your skin may be exposed to 20 to 30 extracts of substances that can cause contact dermatitis.’
- ‘In addition, a patch test should show a negative result.’
- ‘There's no pain, and the simple ingredients are unlikely to cause a reaction; those with sensitive skin, however, should do a patch test.’
- ‘The city council says customers should always be given a patch test at least 24 hours before the treatment but the second victim says this is not enough.’
- ‘Most people don't have any adverse reactions, but you should do a patch test.’
- ‘Investigators can also perform the patch test to diagnose natural rubber latex allergy.’
- ‘A patch test (again, on the inside of your wrists) while you're in the store can be a good indication of expected results.’
- ‘I am disappointed but it seems a shame to waste the disposable kickers so we agree to do a patch test of the algae wrap and proceed with something else.’
- ‘As with any new oils and blends that you use, you must check all safety data for the oils in your blend and do a skin patch test prior to using.’
- ‘Diagnosis is made by a health care provider experienced in chemical allergy testing - patch tests commonly are used.’
- ‘A patch test may involve risks because the test can result in contact allergy or anaphylactic shock. (12,16)’
- ‘The third kind of skin test is called a patch test.’
- ‘These can be confirmed by atopy patch tests and food provocation tests.’
- ‘A patch test confirmed that Mr L was having a reaction to latex, and his history indicated that his rashes were increasing in severity.’
- ‘The Clairol Nice and Easy dye contains a patch test which aims to prevent the people who are allergic to the product from using it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.