One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insulated lead with a plug at each end, for use with a patchboard.
- ‘Smiling and acknowledging their presence, she then turned to her mother and asked, ‘Where did you pack the computer patch cords?’’
- ‘Sometimes there are more patch cords than at other times.’
- ‘Army men with rifles, bazookas, bayonets and cannons were perched on and around the candy wrappers, patch cords, textbooks, a gaping guitar case, a few microphone stands, and an uncountable number of empty tape boxes.’
- ‘Stray feedback and pulled patch cord fuzz offer a timbral counterpart to the repertoire of dry scratching and sharp-edged string snaps, as do the sourceless bass throbs that sometimes lurk beneath the busy surface.’
- ‘All fiber interfaces are at the DWDM level, avoiding the need for the mass of per-wavelength patch cords required in first- and second-generation architectures.’
- ‘‘For example, there is an emphasis on CDMA phones because of their superior coverage, and mobile phone antennas and patch cords to stretch coverage further,’ she said.’
- ‘Then, a few patch cords and buttons later, there's suddenly his voice, warped, mangled, processed and spit back out by about a dozen pieces of machinery.’
- ‘She had patch cords made to plug into her mobile telephone, and used magnetic telephone coils with patch cords for use with ordinary telephones.’
- ‘Sounded like someone had pulled the audio patch cords for a second and then replaced them.’
- ‘Either do that, or just listen to a tape of yourself plugging and unplugging a patch cord.’
- ‘He followed his patch cord to where it connected with Rocky's amp, in the number two spot beside Rocky's cord.’
- ‘People remove a patch lead or accidentally turn a unit off.’
- ‘It's a long rectangular box with a strap that is slung over one shoulder, and a crank is on one end of the box with a curly red patch cord running into an amp nearby.’
- ‘Gibson, one of the pioneers in modern guitars, is taking a big risk in creating new instruments with an Ethernet jack instead of a patch cord connector.’
- ‘Faced with the dilemma of waiting for D' Eon to fix a malfunctioning amp and patch cord, the band simply decided to play as a three-piece while performing a new track entitled ‘Heartbeat.’’
- ‘Rocky suddenly exploded, jumping up from his spot, causing his patch cord to disconnect from his guitar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.