Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Macao, equivalent to 100 avos.
- ‘A local businessman bought the hotel and the adjacent Nam Yue Building two years ago for a reported 200 million patacas.’
- ‘Asked to speak a repetitive sound like ‘pataca pataca pataca,’ they will stumble over each iteration.’
- ‘AirAsia's HK $149 fare only applied to a fraction of the seats on each flight and its website yesterday showed fares of 709 patacas each way for several flights next week’
- ‘Wynn Resorts will pay a land premium of about 318 million patacas and pay a company connected to Stanley Ho 160 million patacas as compensation for giving up rights to part of the site.’
- ‘In the first six months of this year, the enclave received about 3 billion patacas in gambling taxes, up 9.6% from the same period last year.’
- ‘The 500 million pataca casino, owned by a consortium headed by K Wah Group, opened a month ago.’
- ‘Regular fares will start at 219 patacas for non-peak travel days and 419 patacas for Saturdays and other peak times.’
- ‘The billionaire who built Las Vegas's Bellagio and Mirage casinos, said he and partners will invest at least 4 billion patacas in Macau.’
- ‘For example, an Angolan boy was described as a ‘semiskilled shoemaker,’ who knew how to cut and make a pair of shoes, for which he received three patacas a week in wages.’
- ‘The link between Macao's pataca and the Hong Kong dollar also leaves the former Portuguese colony vulnerable to volatility in neighboring Hong Kong's financial markets, the agency added.’
- ‘As 10 per cent owner of Venetian Macau, he said he had to put up a proportional share of the company's initial capital of 200 million patacas.’
- ‘By comparison, the US $265 million Sands offers gamers 319 tables and 460 slots but captured 13.5 per cent of the market, six points less than the Waldo, representing revenue of 405 million patacas.’
- ‘The working capital revolving credit facility may be in either patacas or Hong Kong dollars.’
- ‘It stipulates that Wynn Resort must invest 4 billion Macau patacas within 7 years and finish construction of the first phase of the resort and entertainment complex by 2006.’
- ‘The Sands' hot numbers follow news that Macau's casinos together took a record 4.2 billion patacas in bets last month.’
- ‘Under Galaxy's licensing agreement with the Macau government, a total of 8.8 billion patacas must be invested over a seven-year period starting from 2002.’
- ‘Under the terms of its licence from Macau, Wynn Resorts is committed to open at least one full-fledged casino resort by December 2006 and to invest four billion patacas into projects in the enclave by 2009.’
- ‘The three companies each have promised an investment of more than 4 billion patacas in their gambling businesses in Macao, the enclave's Secretary for Economy and Finance told a press conference.’
- ‘In accepting its licence, the company pledged to open at least one full-fledged casino resort by December 2006 and to invest 4billion patacas into Macau projects by June 26, 2009.’
Spanish and Portuguese.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.