One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Macao, equivalent to 100 avos.
- ‘By comparison, the US $265 million Sands offers gamers 319 tables and 460 slots but captured 13.5 per cent of the market, six points less than the Waldo, representing revenue of 405 million patacas.’
- ‘AirAsia's HK $149 fare only applied to a fraction of the seats on each flight and its website yesterday showed fares of 709 patacas each way for several flights next week’
- ‘Wynn Resorts will pay a land premium of about 318 million patacas and pay a company connected to Stanley Ho 160 million patacas as compensation for giving up rights to part of the site.’
- ‘It stipulates that Wynn Resort must invest 4 billion Macau patacas within 7 years and finish construction of the first phase of the resort and entertainment complex by 2006.’
- ‘The billionaire who built Las Vegas's Bellagio and Mirage casinos, said he and partners will invest at least 4 billion patacas in Macau.’
- ‘The Sands' hot numbers follow news that Macau's casinos together took a record 4.2 billion patacas in bets last month.’
- ‘Under the terms of its licence from Macau, Wynn Resorts is committed to open at least one full-fledged casino resort by December 2006 and to invest four billion patacas into projects in the enclave by 2009.’
- ‘A local businessman bought the hotel and the adjacent Nam Yue Building two years ago for a reported 200 million patacas.’
- ‘The three companies each have promised an investment of more than 4 billion patacas in their gambling businesses in Macao, the enclave's Secretary for Economy and Finance told a press conference.’
- ‘In the first six months of this year, the enclave received about 3 billion patacas in gambling taxes, up 9.6% from the same period last year.’
- ‘The working capital revolving credit facility may be in either patacas or Hong Kong dollars.’
- ‘In accepting its licence, the company pledged to open at least one full-fledged casino resort by December 2006 and to invest 4billion patacas into Macau projects by June 26, 2009.’
- ‘Under Galaxy's licensing agreement with the Macau government, a total of 8.8 billion patacas must be invested over a seven-year period starting from 2002.’
- ‘For example, an Angolan boy was described as a ‘semiskilled shoemaker,’ who knew how to cut and make a pair of shoes, for which he received three patacas a week in wages.’
- ‘The link between Macao's pataca and the Hong Kong dollar also leaves the former Portuguese colony vulnerable to volatility in neighboring Hong Kong's financial markets, the agency added.’
- ‘Asked to speak a repetitive sound like ‘pataca pataca pataca,’ they will stumble over each iteration.’
- ‘The 500 million pataca casino, owned by a consortium headed by K Wah Group, opened a month ago.’
- ‘Regular fares will start at 219 patacas for non-peak travel days and 419 patacas for Saturdays and other peak times.’
- ‘As 10 per cent owner of Venetian Macau, he said he had to put up a proportional share of the company's initial capital of 200 million patacas.’
Spanish and Portuguese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.