One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A children's game in which participants gently clap their hands in time to the words of a rhyme.
- ‘We laughed as classmates screwed up patty-cake and made clowns of themselves.’
- ‘The infant guidelines involve a parent or caregiver planning physical activity with a variety of baby games, such as peekaboo and pat-a-cake, and sessions in which the child is held, rocked, and carried to new environments.’
- ‘It seems that White has led his men even further away from the silly pat-a-cake days when South Africa shared New Zealand's ‘vision ‘of candyfloss rugby, as paraded in the Super 12.’’
- ‘Hip-hip hurray - by the time he's a one-year old, your baby will be able to clap his hands together, so you can play games such pat-a-cake or just clap along to music.’
- ‘From early spring to late fall, he will leave his apartment, limp across the street and coax whoever is willing to play patty-cake with him until the bus arrives.’
- ‘She's also naïve and curious, and praeternaturally sensitive - her epiphanies are simple, involving scarlet gloves or rose-tinted glasses, playing pat-a-cake quietly to herself or imagining conversations in front of the mirror.’
- ‘Who can remain sane watching a load of professional Bavarians performing their version of ‘Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, Baker's man’?’
- ‘Clapping hands to the pat-a-cake rhyme gives your baby practice in coordinating actions with words.’
- ‘The fact is, children love repetition of good things, from pat-a-cake games to stories and songs.’
- ‘From peek-a-boo to chess, from pat-a-cake to baseball, games occupy a central role in the lives of most children from infancy to adolescence.’
- ‘Evidently, the girls didn't pay much attention, since they are shown sleeping and playing patty-cake instead.’
- ‘Hence the unravelling of what should have developed as a pat-a-cake Q & A session into a short, sharp masterclass in discourtesy.’
- ‘Ashley looks like she had a really bad game of patty-cake.’
- ‘The four began seated on wooden boxes facing each other and started what looked like a super-advanced game of pat-a-cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.