One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Highly seasoned smoked beef, typically served in thin slices.
- ‘He ordered a vegetable frittata - a pie-like omelette with veggies embedded - while I had pastrami and cheese sandwich.’
- ‘My friend had the cold Serbian appetiser, which included pastrami, parma ham, and the wonderful peppered creamed cheese.’
- ‘Johnny's ‘New York’ Pizza is no more ‘New York’ than pastrami at the Waffle House.’
- ‘Soy foods like hot dogs, soy sausage, tempeh, and even soy pastrami are also great substitutes because they contain no saturated fat.’
- ‘You can order the three pounds of pastrami sliced or unsliced.’
- ‘We sat at the bar (where else could you possibly want to sit?) and ordered some coffee, poached eggs with pastrami for me, poached eggs with bacon for Maxence, a bialy each and a tiny tub of cream cheese.’
- ‘Here Burke's true creative genius originated such staples as salmon bacon, pastrami salmon, and swordfish chops.’
- ‘Michael was completely converted by Katz's pastrami.’
- ‘There are packages of sliced soy ‘lunch meat’ fashioned to look and taste like ham, turkey, salami and even pastrami.’
- ‘Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.’
- ‘Here we're not talking chateaubriand and Kobe steaks, but briskets of beef and hot pastrami sandwiches the size of combat boots.’
- ‘The day's specials were tomato and basil soup which we saw being served steaming, chicken jalfrezi and pastrami and Swiss toastie with relish and red onion.’
- ‘Their Steaming Carter Dome stacks roast turkey, pastrami, Swiss cheese and homemade cole slaw on rye.’
- ‘I regularly use the recipes for pastrami, smoked salmon and cured ham.’
- ‘Lay off highly processed lunch meats such as pastrami and salami - they're full of fat, sodium and nitrates, which might increase the risk of heart disease and cancer.’
- ‘Roggen or rye beers make suitable escorts for the highly spiced style of pastrami, fennel, or pepper riddled salami and sausage.’
- ‘Zone in on those oversized sandwiches built with hot corned beef or pastrami served on soft, sturdy, seedless rye.’
- ‘So it's very satisfying when the guy who makes my coffee remembers I don't take sugar, and the butcher tells me colorful stories about neighborhood characters while he slices pastrami.’
- ‘And it wanted to outfit its plants with facilities for preparing cooked meats like pastrami, corned beef, and kabobs.’
- ‘The deli plate was indeed made up of a selection of cured ham, pastrami, prosciutto and cheeses along with red peppers stuffed with cream cheese, a lovely strong chicken liver pâté and some sweet and chutney-ish pickled onions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.