Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal A decorative covering for the nipple worn by a stripper.
- ‘A few more seconds and she's down to high heels, stockings and underwear, only black sparkling pasties covering her nipples.’
- ‘Karen covered herself in oil and wore heart-shaped pasties on her breasts.’
- ‘Xena pulled out from Argo's pack a racy little number, a black leather thong and pasties festooned with tiny pompoms.’
- ‘Third, the law at issue in Pap's required female erotic dancers at least to obscure their nipples with pasties.’
- ‘The Anatomy of Burlesque, for example, examines the politics of pasties and other forms of stripped down entertainment.’
- ‘A spangly thong and some pasties and they're all eyes.’
- ‘Thus a blonde stripper with pasties in Act II became the petite, birdlike creature in white in this section.’
- ‘Fortunately, true to the title, he does go to hell, where he's assaulted by demons, propositioned by demonettes in pasties and g-strings, and stripped to his overample but still fetching flesh.’
- ‘A photo on October 21 pictured a blonde reclining in a bathtub, apparently nude, covered only by apples, her nipples concealed by pasties bearing the name of an apple-flavored soft drink.’
- ‘Stripping in the new burlesque goes only as far as pasties and G-strings, not so much in the interests of taste as in the interests of irony.’
- ‘The burlesque girls even wore little umbilicus protectors, as well as nipple pasties and G-strings.’
- ‘Well, the pasties are still there - and perhaps a thong… and a sock.’
- ‘I have also worn a pleather ‘dominatrix’ outfit to educate about the cruelty in leather and protested the circus as a tiger in a cage wearing orange body paint, pasties, and underwear.’
- ‘Carefully placed fans, well manoeuvred balloons, tassels, pasties and body stockings ensured that the audience seldom saw what they thought they did.’
- ‘I offer a few costumes and a few sets of pasties, but I'm encouraging people to bring their own gear and music, if they can.’
- ‘With little pasties, and they're covered up, you know.’
- ‘She opened the next box, and it contained two bras, a pair of stockings that had a garter belt built in and pasties.’
- ‘While most burlesque shows lean heavily on cabaret music, the climax of a proper cabaret is not necessarily a topless chanteuse twirling her pasties.’
- ‘These lightweight pasties are so much less cumbersome than a stick-on bra - you won't even notice you are wearing them.’
- ‘First, invest in a hot-glue gun: It's an essential tool for crafting pasties and affixing feathers to headdresses.’
2variant spelling of pasty
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.