One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple glass pipette drawn into a capillary tube at one end, used with a rubber teat fitted to the other.
- ‘Spreading of preparations was done using curved sterilized Pasteur pipettes.’
- ‘They were then dispersed into single cells by pipetting with Pasteur pipettes.’
- ‘Deposit was inoculated with a sterile Pasteur pipette over the surface of slopes of LJ media in duplicate.’
- ‘This effect appears to be induced by the shear which occurs as the peptide solution is forced through the Pasteur pipette into the cell.’
- ‘Suspensions of cells were made homogeneous by means of a Pasteur pipette, and the cells were resuspended in the quartz cuvette before every exposure to light as well as the subsequent spectral measurement.’
- ‘To extract DNA, an agarose plug was removed from the gel at each chromosome band using a glass Pasteur pipette, and DNA was isolated from the plugs by the phenol-based methods of FAVRE.’
- ‘For sterile cultures, seeds were sown in a water suspension, using a Pasteur pipette, in 150 mm Petri dishes filled with 100 ml of agar culture medium, at a density of 50 regularly spaced seeds per plate.’
- ‘DNA was precipitated with 0.7 vol cold isopropanol, removed with a Pasteur pipette hook, and placed in a clean Eppendorf tube with 1 ml 70% ethanol.’
- ‘Alter incubation, aliquots of insulin solutions were removed from the glass vials using Pasteur pipettes and put onto microscope slides.’
- ‘The upper aqueous phase was gently removed with a wide-bore Pasteur pipette and mixed by inversion with 1 mL of secbutanol.’
- ‘The ether was removed with a Pasteur pipette and discarded.’
- ‘The remaining material is then suspended in 100% ethanol and aspired with a Pasteur pipette previously elongated on a Bunsen.’
- ‘The hypophase was removed with a Pasteur pipette and the aqueous phase re-extracted with chloroform until it was colourless.’
- ‘Supernatant was removed with a Pasteur pipette and worms were frozen in liquid nitrogen.’
- ‘Worms were then transferred to 5% agar pads using a glass Pasteur pipette and covered for microscopy.’
- ‘Using a disposable glass Pasteur pipette, 0.5 ml of the upper phase was transferred to a gas chromatography vial and capped.’
- ‘To remove the dichlorofluorescein, the lipids were applied to small columns of magnesium hydroxide in Pasteur pipettes and the lipid was eluted with 2: 1 chloroform: methanol.’
- ‘From each plate, two to four transparent plaques were picked and placed in separate 1.5-ml eppendorf tubes containing 1 ml of LB medium using sterile Pasteur pipettes.’
- ‘The fixed cells were dropped onto slides using Pasteur pipettes, air dried and stored at - 20°C.’
- ‘Dropping pipettes and Pasteur pipettes are usually uncalibrated, and are used to transfer liquids only when accurate quantification is not necessary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.