One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The sloping part of a horse's foot between the fetlock and the hoof.
- ‘The pulse can be found with a stethoscope under the heart girth, or with fingers place below the horse's jaw or on the inside of the pastern joint.’
- ‘The flaws I disqualify a horse for are back at the knee, long pasterns, and a weak hind leg.’
- ‘He later suffered complications when other fractures to parts of his pastern were discovered on December 19.’
- ‘The 16-year-old son of Sovereign Dancer out of Din's Times, by Olden Times, fractured the pastern bone in his left foreleg.’
- ‘Rupert covertly extracted with his hoof and pastern the correct payment for Alexander's numerous orders.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Hawk Flyer, a leading fancy for the Seabiscuit St Leger, has been put down after fracturing a pastern.’
- ‘The 13-year-old son of Ahonoora shattered his left front pastern on October 2, and underwent surgery the next day, Racing Post reported.’
- ‘Khalkevi's career was cut short when he severely fractured a hind pastern while prepping for a possible start in the Prix de l' Arc de Triomphe in October 2002.’
- ‘He dislocated a pastern joint and we decided to put him down immediately.’
- ‘‘He has shattered his pastern very, very badly, and he had to be put down,’ Suhail's racing manager said.’
- ‘The pastern was broken into several pieces, but it did not break the skin.’
- ‘For polo, of course, it is I want to have a horse whose pasterns aren't too long and has good, strong bones in the legs and feet; I like a round, big spined - horse rather than pointed-spined one.’
- ‘The hoof pastern axis may be broken forward or broken backward and the heel angle decreased with a low heel (Figure 2-note the low heel angle on this two month old colt).’
- ‘Triple Crown winner Affirmed, who recently underwent surgery to repair a chronic ligament injury in his left front pastern, returned home to Jonabell Farm near Lexington on Thursday.’
- ‘Walkslikeaduck had recently returned to training at Santa Anita Park after suffering a pastern injury, but will not race again, the trainer Paddy told Daily Racing Form.’
- ‘With their legs tangling, Perfect Drift lost his left hind shoe and the hair in his pastern area.’
- ‘When a lady asked him how he came to define pastern as the knee of a horse, his answer was ‘Ignorance, Madam, pure ignorance.’’
- ‘In the front legs, ideal proportions are long shoulder, short arm, long forearm, short cannon, medium pastern.’
- ‘Finally, he injured a pastern training, and it was decided to send him home.’
- ‘Grade 2 winner Gander, who ranks third on the all-time earnings list for New York-breds, has been retired after suffering a fractured short pastern in his left front leg during a workout at Saratoga Race Course on Wednesday.’
- 1.1 A corresponding part in some other domestic animals.
Middle English: from Old French pasturon, from pasture ‘strap for hobbling a horse’, transferred in sense to the joint of the foot.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.