Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of a pale and delicate shade of a colour.‘she was looking elegant in a pastel-coloured suit’
- ‘Most important, she helped to secure almost $8 million in grants and loans to build new pastel-colored duplexes with running water, toilets and central heating.’
- ‘Almost every girl under the age of 35 has a fake fur collar and a pastel-coloured parka.’
- ‘It's like a big sweetshop full of pastel-coloured lollipops.’
- ‘The agent meets me outside the pastel-coloured Victorian villa, which sits on one of the area's most picturesque and leafy squares.’
- ‘The town was strung out along the shoreline, the pastel-colored buildings reminded me of a child's blocks.’
- ‘The company launched pastel-colored products and jumbo-sized paper tower rolls just in time for the 1958 recession.’
- ‘Why are there now so many female-oriented books with pastel-coloured covers about twenty-something relationships?’
- ‘The story takes place in a modern, high-tech facility with pastel-coloured decor.’
- ‘In front of the pastel-coloured, colonnaded buildings of Parliament Square, Queen Victoria's statue casts a beady eye over modern Nassau.’
- ‘He takes me down the stairs, into the basement, past the paintings of long-dead kings and queens, to a pretty, pastel-coloured but unremarkable portrait of a young woman.’
- ‘The amber mountains of Sinai soared towards a sapphire-blue sky and provided a fantastic backdrop to the cluster of pastel-coloured five-star hotels lining the beach.’
- ‘Company reports resemble glossy fashion magazines and the pastel-coloured web pages are frequently adorned with pictures of exotic flowers and fruits.’
- ‘Look for feminine, pastel-coloured or patterned round-necked shapes.’
- ‘People are growing tired of suffering through wakes in funeral homes where friends and family gather around the 'dearly departed' in poorly-lit, pastel-coloured rooms.’
- ‘I made them from pastel-colored card stock, simply photocopying my templates onto the sheets.’
- ‘White flowers appear in mid-summer as dramatic plumes which rise above the plants on stalks, although some varieties have pastel-colored blooms.’
- ‘Their faces were sticky with sweat, and their pastel-colored clothes shone in the sunlight.’
- ‘The little girls wore frilly pastel-colored dresses and white patent leather shoes with matching pocketbooks.’
- ‘Since his "father's" death, Edward has lived in isolation in the hilltop mansion that overlooks a clean, pastel-colored suburb.’
- ‘Everyone had even bigger '80s hair and pastel-coloured clothing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.