One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or denoting a type of behaviour or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation.
- ‘My dad was usually a passive-aggressive person, only when my mother pushed certain buttons did he tend to get irritated and ill-tempered.’
- ‘So, it turns out that I'm a passive-aggressive confrontation-shy milquetoast with a classic working class deference to power.’
- ‘The result is often judgmental criticism, condescending sarcasm or, even, passive-aggressive retaliation.’
- ‘To me it seems fairly ordinary, but I also live in a place filled with many passive-aggressive people and haven't been dating forever.’
- ‘Esther, my shopaholic, passive-aggressive, overly grandiose mother, loves to recount this story at least four or five times a year and always with great relish on my day of birth!’
- ‘For others, though, it's a dreaded nightmare of confrontation and recrimination, self-destructive despair and passive-aggressive treachery.’
- ‘Sometimes these emotions are expressed in passive-aggressive ways, sexual withdrawal being one manifestation.’
- ‘And passive-aggressive lateness or forgetfulness certainly falls under this category.’
- ‘Emily finally learns Lorelai is dating Luke, and demands to get reacquainted with him over a passive-aggressive dinner.’
- ‘So long as people work soul-sucking jobs and find themselves in passive-aggressive dysfunctional relationships, his songs will never go out of style.’
- ‘People who write diaries are helpless solipsists who want nothing more than to denigrate others and elevate their own achievements, but who are too repressed and passive-aggressive to do so publicly.’
- ‘This was manifested by disparaging remarks, passive-aggressive behaviour, malicious gossip about me, passing off of ideas generated by me as his own and frequent use of abusive language to myself and others around him.’
- ‘The steward's self-pity in his soliloquy suggests lack of control over his situation or a passive-aggressive personality.’
- ‘I neither stated nor implied that my experiences with accusations of passive-aggressive behavior were representative.’
- ‘Therefore you tell everyone he has a passive-aggressive personality and Asperger's Syndrome.’
- ‘Chapters 4 and 5 focus on the importance of underlying beliefs that influence passive, aggressive, and passive-aggressive styles.’
- ‘That's what a passive-aggressive personality will get you.’
- ‘Does this make kiwis a passive-aggressive people, second only to the English in our avoidance of public conflict?’
- ‘Humor can also be used to be cruel in a passive-aggressive way.’
- ‘Therefore, their anger may be misdirected in passive-aggressive maneuvers such as sulking or destructive gossip, she says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.