One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or marked by passion.‘a current of passional electric energy’
intense, impassioned, ardent, fervent, fervid, zealous, vehement, fiery, heated, feverish, emotional, heartfelt, eager, excited, animated, spirited, vigorous, strong, energetic, messianic, fanatical, frenzied, wild, fierce, consuming, violent, tumultuous, flaming, raging, burning, uncontrollable, ungovernableView synonyms
- ‘We read not only because we cannot know enough people, but because friendship is so vulnerable, so likely to diminish or disappear, overcome by space, time, imperfect sympathies, and all the sorrows of familial and passional life.’
- ‘Newton had discovered the physical laws of universal attraction: it was up to Fourier, so Fourier the illiterate shopkeeper tells us, to discover the laws of passional attraction.’
- ‘It only means that they alone cannot prop up a civilization; they answer wonderfully to the practical side of life, but do nothing for the passional side of life.’
- ‘The immediate references add multiply meanings, simultaneous multiple meanings to the poem, charge it up with a passional immediacy that an abstract structure cannot maintain.’
- ‘In some ways, the passional person, even when committing a criminal act, was the perfect citizen’.’
- ‘It allows and demands the possibility of creating new ways of living and working within urban environments that are guided by human need and the passional qualities of people.’
A book about the sufferings of saints and martyrs, for reading on their feast days.
- ‘A group of manuscripts made for the Dowager Queen Eliska Rejka 1315-23 show first-hand knowledge of Franco-Flemish illumination, while a passional illuminated for the Abbess Kunhuta in about 1320 (Prague, University Lib.) remains obscure.’
- ‘I have come across several sources noting that Lucas Cranach, the Elder was responsible for the woodcuts in the Passional Christi und Antichristi.’
- ‘The church services and the passionals of the saint present him as an ardent champion of Eastern orthodoxy, an opponent of the trilingual heresy’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.