Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One mile travelled by one passenger, as a unit of traffic.
- ‘There are at least three measures available: passenger journeys, passenger miles and revenue.’
- ‘Going by bus instead of by car cuts nitrogen oxide pollution by 25 percent, carbon monoxide by 80 percent and hydrocarbons by 90 percent per passenger mile.’
- ‘Such savings helped lower AirTran's costs to 8.5 cents per available passenger mile, vs. 11 cents at Delta.’
- ‘Information does not exist about passenger miles or ton miles, or about the numbers of passengers who used various stations at various times to travel to whatever destinations.’
- ‘It was and is far safer to fly than to drive, per passenger mile.’
- ‘In reality, by 1998, the rate of 10 fatalities per billion passenger miles travelled was only a quarter of the peak attained by British Rail in 1987.’
- ‘The fuel efficiency per passenger mile travelled by train is no better than that of an average diesel car carrying two people.’
- ‘ULTra is powered by electricity and uses 70 per cent less energy per passenger mile than cars.’
- ‘It says that owing to empty running and low occupancy rates, taxis produce 70 per cent more carbon dioxide per passenger mile than a private car so their contribution towards a sustainable transport policy was ‘tenuous’.’
- ‘The discounters enjoy costs as low as 6 cents per passenger mile, compared with more than 10 cents for Delta.’
- ‘In its decision, the department noted that the three airlines accounted for 35 percent of revenue per passenger mile in the industry and that 3,214 of their routes overlapped.’
- ‘And since they use far less fuel per passenger mile than planes, they will also reduce the nation's dependence on imported oil.’
- ‘This produces an estimate of about 660,000 passenger miles per annum, 186 per cent of all road passenger miles.’
- ‘Figures from the Commission for Integrated Transport show trains pump out less carbon dioxide - one of the greenhouse gases responsible for global warming - per passenger mile than other forms of transport.’
- ‘Its revenue per passenger mile flown is now about 85% of the industry average, vs. 75% to 80% before the change.’
- ‘Highways account for 90% of passenger miles traveled each year.’
- ‘For these passengers, quality of experience will be enhanced by knowing their Acela trip, per passenger mile, creates one-eighth the carbon dioxide emissions of flying, and one-quarter those of driving.’
- ‘To compare risks for a journey of a fixed distance, we should measure deaths per passenger mile.’
- ‘In one passenger mile, rail generates .01 grams of hydrocarbons, a bus .20 and a car 2.09.’
- ‘It is, per passenger mile, probably the least cost-effective transport system in Europe.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.