Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in Italy or Italian-speaking areas) a leisurely walk or stroll, especially one taken in the evening for the purpose of socializing.
- ‘To get there you must climb a kilometre long flight of steps, once a passeggiata for the Goan gentry, now a deserted forest path frequented only by babbler birds, peacocks and monkeys.’
- ‘The streets bustle by day, but become livelier still in the evening as the locals dress up for the nightly passeggiata.’
- ‘The passeggiata, or evening stroll, is an exquisite ritual.’
- ‘Lucca is so laid back it soothes the senses on even the bleakest day, its inhabitants contriving to make the passeggiata (evening stroll) of other Italian towns seem almost dynamic.’
- ‘Here, folks stop to ‘take a coffee’ in one of the town's many piazzas, or public squares, as well as chat with friends during the nightly passeggiata, or evening stroll.’
- ‘This passeggiata filled up the hours before sunset.’
- ‘The Eritrean capital still, in these difficult times, faces a challenge: how to remain itself, a humanly-scaled city, a city of shops and houses, a city for the passeggiata and time regained, without remaining motionless?’
- ‘But the video-fuelled masses who descend on the resorts to view the evening passeggiata through a handycam are not here for the scenery.’
- ‘On the land side, the promenade winds in a leisurely, irregular fashion along the waterfront, providing a pleasant route for daytime flâneurs and the evening passeggiata, the ritual Mediterranean stroll.’
- ‘With devices including radar concealed behind a simple grill fence, citizens of Otranto now have a panoramic finale to their passeggiata.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.