One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Collect contributions of money from a number of people for a specific purpose.‘we're going to pass the hat round later and buy some beer’
- ‘After each performance, they pass the hat, collect what they can, and move on to the next village.’
- ‘Corporates and individuals pitch in, passing the hat around, so that the target is met.’
- ‘We'll also use the occasion to pass the hat around for a charity (to be confirmed) which is working on tsunami relief.’
- ‘We'll also be passing the hat for additional donations, so drink up and loosen your purse strings.’
- ‘Celebrities are for the most part airheads, true, but they're really good at passing the hat for lobbying funds.’
- ‘So the group passed the hat at school, asking the families of the 675 kids for donations, and raised another $14,000.’
- ‘And in Richmond, organizers plan to pass the hat at parties and hold other fund-raisers for the US $1,000 or so needed to charter a bus.’
- ‘Of course, he left his unsuspecting assistant to pass the hat, and of course the money filled it to the brim.’
- ‘Or you can watch the show from any vantage point on the plaza and pay what you can when they pass the hat.’
- ‘Some restaurants have plans to ignore the ban altogether and pass the hat around for the fines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.