One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Successfully complete the first stage of an undertaking.‘home builders can't actually pass go unless they sell the houses’
- ‘Where the real housing industry varies enormously from the pretend world of real estate tycoons is that home builders can't actually pass go unless they sell the houses.’
- ‘Yup, I see him leapfrogging Triple-A, passing go, and collecting $200 four million dollars before the year is out.’
- ‘This guy wakes up in the morning, does not pass go, does not collect $200, but drinks a soda and eats a Pop-Tart with no crust.’
- ‘Nor have I got a pass go collect £200 option either.’
- ‘However, it's becoming increasingly apparent that if I go, I won't get my thesis done, won't be able to pass go, and won't collect my $200.’
- ‘And if I happen to tell you I think something's a deal-breaker, that does not mean break the deal, do not pass go.’
- ‘All of this newest craze will undoubtedly be judged by how many times we "pass go" on the boards.’
- ‘But unless we apply the knowledge that we have gained, we cannot pass go, as it were.’
- ‘Cars do not pass go and collect $200.’
- ‘If a mother runs a fever during labor for any amount of time, the baby goes directly to NICU, does not pass go, does not collect 200 dollars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.