One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A convict issued with a document authorizing some freedom of movement.‘the pass-holder was, after a time, entitled to a ticket-of-leave’
- ‘If unable to find private employment, the pass-holders could work for the government, which would give them rations but no wages.’
- ‘A pass-holder may be deprived of his pass altogether, at the pleasure of the Lieutenant-Governor.’
- ‘A pass-holder on arrival with eighteen months left to serve, his only transgression was to be out after hours within a few weeks of arriving.’
- ‘The gangs fell into a state of chronic revolt, while the pass-holders and ticket-of-leave men became the terror of the community.’
- ‘The pass-holders were held at hiring depots in Hobart, Launceston and at several points in the settled districts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.