One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A convict issued with a document authorizing some freedom of movement.‘the pass-holder was, after a time, entitled to a ticket-of-leave’
- ‘The pass-holders were held at hiring depots in Hobart, Launceston and at several points in the settled districts.’
- ‘A pass-holder may be deprived of his pass altogether, at the pleasure of the Lieutenant-Governor.’
- ‘If unable to find private employment, the pass-holders could work for the government, which would give them rations but no wages.’
- ‘A pass-holder on arrival with eighteen months left to serve, his only transgression was to be out after hours within a few weeks of arriving.’
- ‘The gangs fell into a state of chronic revolt, while the pass-holders and ticket-of-leave men became the terror of the community.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.