Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A lamb sacrificed at Passover.
- ‘In honor of the paschal lamb, lamb dishes are appropriate, as are salads in honor of the first greens of the field.’
- ‘The Tosefta's seder, I am suggesting, is an early attempt at fashioning a Passover night celebration without a paschal lamb.’
- ‘The paschal lamb could be legally slain and the blood and fat offered only in the national sanctuary.’
- ‘Passover, or Pesach as it's called in Hebrew, might be familiar to some people who are familiar with the word paschal lamb.’
- ‘The paschal lamb must of course be regarded as the leading feature in the ceremonial of the festival.’
- 1.1 Christ.
- ‘Christ our Paschal Lamb is offered up for us once for all.’
- ‘Among the great variety of typical things, which, under the Mosaic dispensation, were emblematical of Christ and pointed to Him, none was more eminent and expressive than the Paschal Lamb.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.