One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance for two people, typically a man and a woman.
- ‘It is a jazz pas de deux and a tuxedo duet punctuated by brilliant solos, mixing the playful and erotic in a rapid succession.’
- ‘These were mostly pas de deux danced in succession, with little variation.’
- ‘Now she teaches the pas de deux to students as an essential classic.’
- ‘His performance, including a pas de deux from Swan Lake, brings down the house.’
- ‘Its balcony pas de deux is performed at countless galas and its structure seems both monumental and definitive.’
- ‘Her huntress was in full command, capable of mischief in the cave scene but also the solemn joy of true love in the climactic pas de deux.’
- ‘While I staged the pas de deux and the Chinese Tea variations, Suzanne did almost everything else.’
- ‘A pas de deux followed; one of the handsome young women deals with a crouching man, perhaps her child.’
- ‘Bethany recalls dancing the pas de deux with Jonathan Howells.’
- ‘She later interrupts a pas de deux forcing it into a trio.’
- ‘The many pas de deux were well crafted, each clearly depicting its true or false emotion.’
- ‘The kiss at the end of the pas de deux becomes a more realistically passionate and tender moment when the couple is really in love.’
- ‘It's kind of a love story, a pas de deux between a Scotsman and a sylph.’
- ‘The several pas de deux for the heroine and her lover have a limited assortment of steps and plenty of identical lifts.’
- ‘He spoke of the pas de deux in Cinderella as being beautiful.’
- ‘Others focused on the pas de deux and the several variations.’
- ‘Creating a pas de deux is like making a sculpture.’
- ‘Fans have been known to dash across the plaza during intermission to catch a premiere or a favorite pas de deux, and this year is no exception.’
- ‘While the pas de deux was performed well, it was not particularly memorable.’
- ‘A storm had begun as they danced their last pas de deux together onstage.’
French, literally ‘step of two’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.