One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance for two people, typically a man and a woman.
- ‘Fans have been known to dash across the plaza during intermission to catch a premiere or a favorite pas de deux, and this year is no exception.’
- ‘Now she teaches the pas de deux to students as an essential classic.’
- ‘These were mostly pas de deux danced in succession, with little variation.’
- ‘While the pas de deux was performed well, it was not particularly memorable.’
- ‘While I staged the pas de deux and the Chinese Tea variations, Suzanne did almost everything else.’
- ‘Others focused on the pas de deux and the several variations.’
- ‘The several pas de deux for the heroine and her lover have a limited assortment of steps and plenty of identical lifts.’
- ‘His performance, including a pas de deux from Swan Lake, brings down the house.’
- ‘Its balcony pas de deux is performed at countless galas and its structure seems both monumental and definitive.’
- ‘A pas de deux followed; one of the handsome young women deals with a crouching man, perhaps her child.’
- ‘It is a jazz pas de deux and a tuxedo duet punctuated by brilliant solos, mixing the playful and erotic in a rapid succession.’
- ‘Her huntress was in full command, capable of mischief in the cave scene but also the solemn joy of true love in the climactic pas de deux.’
- ‘He spoke of the pas de deux in Cinderella as being beautiful.’
- ‘Bethany recalls dancing the pas de deux with Jonathan Howells.’
- ‘A storm had begun as they danced their last pas de deux together onstage.’
- ‘Creating a pas de deux is like making a sculpture.’
- ‘The kiss at the end of the pas de deux becomes a more realistically passionate and tender moment when the couple is really in love.’
- ‘She later interrupts a pas de deux forcing it into a trio.’
- ‘The many pas de deux were well crafted, each clearly depicting its true or false emotion.’
- ‘It's kind of a love story, a pas de deux between a Scotsman and a sylph.’
French, literally ‘step of two’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.