Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of very small viruses chiefly affecting animals, especially one (canine parvovirus) which causes contagious disease in dogs.
- ‘Puppies should be vaccinated against distemper, infectious hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus, parainfluenza and rabies.’
- ‘Owing to narrow tissue or species specificity of parvoviruses, animal parvoviruses do not infect humans.’
- ‘If these wild dogs don't die of sheer starvation, he said, diseases such as parvovirus, heartworm, or intestinal parasites usually kill them.’
- ‘When parvovirus appeared in the late 1970s Max said vets were initially baffled.’
- ‘Effective vaccines exist for a number of animal parvoviruses.’
1960s: from Latin parvus small + virus.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.