One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A field pea of a variety with speckled seeds.
2US A yellow-flowered plant of the pea family with sensitive leaves.
Cassia fasciculata, family Leguminosae
- ‘Julie Etterson and Ruth Shaw of the University of Minnesota studied the potential evolution of partridge peas in Minnesota.’
- ‘Partridge pea produces hard-coated seeds that may persist for extended periods.’
- ‘Illinois bundle flower, butterfly milkweed, compass grass, and partridge peas nestle in another 20-acre plot.’
- ‘The other species present included cattail, partridge pea and American germander.’
- ‘Partridge pea tolerates a wide range of soil types, including many nutrient-deficient ones, but grows best on sandy-textured soils.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.