One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of physics that deals with the properties, relationships, and interactions of subatomic particles.
- ‘How do others see the future of CERN and particle physics in Europe?’
- ‘Some will express surprise that the biggest job in particle physics has gone to a non-particle physicist.’
- ‘I would like to end by discussing the future of string theory, not as a mathematical subject but as a framework for particle physics and cosmology.’
- ‘The first decade of LFT has been extremely productive and has had a longlasting impact on theoretical particle physics and field theory.’
- ‘But this quark excess can't be explained using the Standard Model of particle physics.’
- ‘In Deep Down Things, he takes the reader on a fascinating journey into the bizarre, subatomic world of particle physics.’
- ‘The article becomes heavy in places, especially in dealing with particle physics and quantum mechanics.’
- ‘In particle physics, masses of scalar fields tend to be very large.’
- ‘In the Standard Model of particle physics, the Higgs mechanism allows the generation of such masses but it cannot predict the actual mass values.’
- ‘Fifty years is a long time in particle physics - and not just because most subatomic particles only exist for tiny fractions of a second.’
- ‘That hallmark has indeed proved true for quarks, which form the bedrock of the standard model, the dominant paradigm of particle physics.’
- ‘The existence of quarks inside the mesons and baryons had to be deduced mathematically because free quarks have never been observed by particle physics.’
- ‘In the same way it doesn't help us to look at Quantum and particle physics to describe cellular properties, because the level is too far reduced and the sorts of statements we can make are too general.’
- ‘We know the standard model of particle physics is not the final word, and quantum theory has yet to be married to gravity - neither is complete without the other.’
- ‘When asked what the most important issue in particle physics is today, my colleagues offer three burning questions: What is the origin of mass?’
- ‘String theory always has lots of scalar-field moduli and these can potentially play important roles in particle physics and cosmology.’
- ‘Then the electron was discovered, and particle physics was born.’
- ‘If the Standard Model of particle physics were perfectly symmetric, none of the particles in the model would have any mass.’
- ‘The delineation of atomic substructure and mechanisms of subatomic processes evolved into the modern study of particle physics.’
- ‘Since the discovery of quarks in the 1960s, the core questions in nuclear and particle physics have evolved dramatically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.