One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of physics that deals with the properties, relationships, and interactions of subatomic particles.
- ‘The existence of quarks inside the mesons and baryons had to be deduced mathematically because free quarks have never been observed by particle physics.’
- ‘In particle physics, masses of scalar fields tend to be very large.’
- ‘The delineation of atomic substructure and mechanisms of subatomic processes evolved into the modern study of particle physics.’
- ‘How do others see the future of CERN and particle physics in Europe?’
- ‘But this quark excess can't be explained using the Standard Model of particle physics.’
- ‘In the same way it doesn't help us to look at Quantum and particle physics to describe cellular properties, because the level is too far reduced and the sorts of statements we can make are too general.’
- ‘Since the discovery of quarks in the 1960s, the core questions in nuclear and particle physics have evolved dramatically.’
- ‘That hallmark has indeed proved true for quarks, which form the bedrock of the standard model, the dominant paradigm of particle physics.’
- ‘If the Standard Model of particle physics were perfectly symmetric, none of the particles in the model would have any mass.’
- ‘Then the electron was discovered, and particle physics was born.’
- ‘Some will express surprise that the biggest job in particle physics has gone to a non-particle physicist.’
- ‘The first decade of LFT has been extremely productive and has had a longlasting impact on theoretical particle physics and field theory.’
- ‘In Deep Down Things, he takes the reader on a fascinating journey into the bizarre, subatomic world of particle physics.’
- ‘We know the standard model of particle physics is not the final word, and quantum theory has yet to be married to gravity - neither is complete without the other.’
- ‘String theory always has lots of scalar-field moduli and these can potentially play important roles in particle physics and cosmology.’
- ‘In the Standard Model of particle physics, the Higgs mechanism allows the generation of such masses but it cannot predict the actual mass values.’
- ‘When asked what the most important issue in particle physics is today, my colleagues offer three burning questions: What is the origin of mass?’
- ‘I would like to end by discussing the future of string theory, not as a mathematical subject but as a framework for particle physics and cosmology.’
- ‘Fifty years is a long time in particle physics - and not just because most subatomic particles only exist for tiny fractions of a second.’
- ‘The article becomes heavy in places, especially in dealing with particle physics and quantum mechanics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.