Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A category to which a word is assigned in accordance with its syntactic functions. In English the main parts of speech are noun, pronoun, adjective, determiner, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.Also called word class
- ‘I am working on a book about the parts of speech - that's right, nouns, verbs, interjections and all the rest.’
- ‘A wide variety of lesson plans are linked, including interactive lessons on teaching adverbs, conjunctions, and the parts of speech.’
- ‘It reviews the parts of speech and teaches the parts of a sentence and punctuation.’
- ‘However, while all of the absent antecedents are duly filled in, we are left with a sense that pronouns are not the only parts of speech left unspoken.’
- ‘Stress placement in English may also change the part of speech of a word.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.