One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A publication appearing in several parts over a period of time.
book, volume, hardback, paperback, title, work, tome, opus, treatise, manual, register, almanac, yearbook, compendiumView synonyms
- ‘And yet good technology advice isn't hard to find: news stand magazines and part-works offer lucid explanations, most newspapers feature weekly PC advice columns, and much more information is only two clicks away on the internet.’
- ‘For those who've been living in a cave in the desert for the last twenty years, part-works are the magazines coming in like 50 parts, courses on cross-stitch, painters, collectible bird statues, you name it, you can get a part-work on it.’
- ‘‘Most part-works fall off in popularity after week six or seven, but there is no way that the young girls will not keep collecting Sabrina's Secrets,’ she said.’
- ‘I got this DVD as a ‘bonus’ with the first issue of the part-work.’
- ‘An acquaintance who worked for a publisher asked for some pictures to illustrate a series of part-works, beginning with The Story of Pop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.