One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A publication appearing in several parts over a period of time.
book, volume, hardback, paperback, title, work, tome, opus, treatise, manual, register, almanac, yearbook, compendiumView synonyms
- ‘‘Most part-works fall off in popularity after week six or seven, but there is no way that the young girls will not keep collecting Sabrina's Secrets,’ she said.’
- ‘For those who've been living in a cave in the desert for the last twenty years, part-works are the magazines coming in like 50 parts, courses on cross-stitch, painters, collectible bird statues, you name it, you can get a part-work on it.’
- ‘I got this DVD as a ‘bonus’ with the first issue of the part-work.’
- ‘An acquaintance who worked for a publisher asked for some pictures to illustrate a series of part-works, beginning with The Story of Pop.’
- ‘And yet good technology advice isn't hard to find: news stand magazines and part-works offer lucid explanations, most newspapers feature weekly PC advice columns, and much more information is only two clicks away on the internet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.