Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of a parotid gland, especially (infectious parotitis) mumps.
- ‘The great majority of cases begin as a tonsillitis or pharyngitis with occasional cases associated with mastoiditis, otitis media, parotitis, sinusitis and dental infections.’
- ‘Mumps results from infection with the mumps virus and can lead to parotitis, meningoencephalitis, and orchitis.’
- ‘Rare presentations of infection include severe haemorrhage, jaundice, parotitis, and cardiomyopathy.’
- ‘She suffers from asthma, has a known allergy to dust, and has had recurrent episodes of parotitis.’
- ‘In the presence of parotitis and particularly during an epidemic, the diagnosis of mumps is straightforward.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.