One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of large salivary glands situated just in front of each ear.
- ‘There are three pairs of major salivary glands: the parotid glands, situated behind the jaw in front of the ear, and the submandibular and sublingual glands that lie under the jaw and tongue.’
- ‘Swollen submandibular glands and parotid glands as well as esophagitis, esophageal spasm, and esophageal tearing and potentially fatal ruptures can occur from constant vomiting.’
- ‘The infection may extend to involve the parotid gland, cartilage, bone, nerves, and blood vessels.’
- ‘Twenty-seven tumors were from parotid glands, 8 from submandibular glands, 5 from the palate, 2 from unspecified major salivary glands, and 1 from the tongue.’
- ‘It is generally accepted that dedifferentiated carcinomas are associated with a poor clinical outcome, as they tend to involve the whole parotid gland and invade the facial nerve.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.