Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of a pair of large salivary glands situated just in front of each ear.→ parotid
- ‘Swollen submandibular glands and parotid glands as well as esophagitis, esophageal spasm, and esophageal tearing and potentially fatal ruptures can occur from constant vomiting.’
- ‘There are three pairs of major salivary glands: the parotid glands, situated behind the jaw in front of the ear, and the submandibular and sublingual glands that lie under the jaw and tongue.’
- ‘Twenty-seven tumors were from parotid glands, 8 from submandibular glands, 5 from the palate, 2 from unspecified major salivary glands, and 1 from the tongue.’
- ‘The infection may extend to involve the parotid gland, cartilage, bone, nerves, and blood vessels.’
- ‘It is generally accepted that dedifferentiated carcinomas are associated with a poor clinical outcome, as they tend to involve the whole parotid gland and invade the facial nerve.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.