One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A maid employed to wait at table.
attendant, retainerView synonyms
- ‘There was a knock on the door and the parlourmaid Katie came in.’
- ‘Antoinette this is Brenda our parlourmaid, and Nellie our housemaid.’
- ‘Liszt returned his attention to where Caroline was, but he saw not the girl, but an old parlourmaid of the queen.’
- ‘As our family grew we'd hired more servants so that now we had a parlourmaid, two housemaids, two kitchenmaids, a scullerymaid, Mrs. Benson, Mr. Richards and the cook.’
- ‘A parlourmaid's job is relatively easy, even more so than a housemaid's job and I was given more freedom and more responsibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.