One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Central American palm which is grown as a popular pot plant.
Chamaedorea elegans, family Palmae
- ‘As a rule of thumb, it's hard to go wrong with classics like the parlour palm, dracaenas, rubber plants, aspidistra (I've always fancied a variegated one), cacti, succulents and the umbrella plant.’
- ‘I am as calm as the faux parlor palm plant in the corner.’
- ‘Housemate 7: This is just some sort of boring old parlour palm that never really does anything.’
- ‘Two women behind the parlour palm leaned together conspiratorially over a small table.’
- ‘The parlour palm, Chamaedorea elegans, and the spider plant, Chlorophytum comosum ‘Variegatum’ are worthwhile.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.