One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverbMusic
(with reference to singing) expressive or declamatory in the manner of speech.
- ‘The main tendency of Professor Miller's guidance is probably very sound - the insistence, for example, on legato, giving notes their full singing-value and not resorting, except in some very special cases, to a parlando style.’
- ‘The nocturnes in particular respond to Italian bel canto, in their widely spanning melodic arcs, their fioriture, and their stylization of such vocal embellishments as portamento and parlando repetitions of a single note.’
- ‘Regarding the text setting, Aplvor's writing for solo voice is largely angular, in line with the post-Webern idiom, and essentially parlando in style.’
- ‘His interpretation is desiccating, and in the third movement, the women's chorus performs the parlando sections coarsely, as if they were selling fish.’
- ‘This scheme is similar to the structure of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies in that the first section is generally slow, rhapsodic and lyrical, often in a parlando style, while the second section is fast and technically brilliant.’
Composition or performance in a parlando manner.‘the high-lying parlando of Siegfried's narration’
- ‘But if you are not careful, the music never really gets a chance to speak; vocal lines which are a constant parlando with orchestral accompaniment produce something more akin to a play with incidental music.’
- ‘Do we have to emphasize that this highly complex mode of recitation with accompaniment has nothing to do with the rhythmical parlando practiced by vaudeville singers in the 19th century?’
- ‘Glass' score trades in many of his familiar musical fingerprints - pulsing ostinatos, repeating rhythms, short vocal lines based on simple melodic ideas treated in parlando, or conversational, style.’
- ‘A telling sign's the amount of speech and bare parlando employed - it's as though Martinu doesn't quite trust music to tell a story or illuminate character.’
Italian, literally ‘speaking’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.