One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing.
- ‘Well, Belle is the founder of an entirely new extreme sport known as parkour.’
- ‘It totally contradicts my personal practise of parkour, but as an 'ambassador' of it, I've found myself doing shows.’
- ‘Individuals have always gathered together simply to practise parkour.’
- ‘Looking for different ways to jump an obstacle is a creative thing in parkour.’
- ‘For me, parkour has a phenomenal power of attraction.’
- ‘In their youth, Sebastien and his pals played a variety of sports which all, in one way or another, contributed to their development of parkour.’
- ‘Consider the action-choreography: ignoring the conveniently placed pipes, parkour is used with naturalistic effect, but the combat sequences seem over-rehearsed and delivered with rigid control.’
- ‘"For the choreography it was pretty easy because that's a big part of what parkour is about," recalls Sebastien.’
- ‘As parkour migrates to the States so do American stunt ninjas find their way onto the internet.’
- ‘It is, instead, boisterous and noisy and in its way, joyous, its political backdrop merely an occasion for more parkour.’
- ‘It also seems that London traceurs have been exploring the potential for parkour around the estate architecture.’
- ‘However, my reaction wasn't against any individual as such, but rather the message that was being communicated about parkour.’
- ‘It's fair to say that parkour is an extreme sport (as extreme as they come, maybe).’
- ‘Jumping over a bench in P.E. class isn't creative, but parkour forces you to think about how you can jump.’
- ‘I call what I do parkour, but I don't worry about the politics of it.’
- ‘What does parkour give you that these sports do not?’
- ‘With parkour there's no competitions, you're not going out to prove something to a coach or a sponsor or competing with other runners.’
- ‘When it comes to parkour everything is free.’
- ‘Like the latest extreme sport, parkour, the artist has to work with the building environment around him and create their own art.’
- ‘And if you are interested to try some parkour or urban exploration and happen to be located in Stockholm, Sweden you can consider yourself invited to the Urban Ninja Crew.’
Early 21st century: French, alteration of parcours ‘route, course’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.