Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small light on the side of a vehicle, for use when parking the vehicle at night.
- ‘Paul stepped into the silhouette of a parking light.’
- ‘Never drive the vehicle at night with only the parking light on.’
- ‘Sometimes you have to ask the guy in the truck to turn his parking lights on.’
- ‘All the parking lights can be lit without the headlights being on, a useful feature for setting camp, working with a trail spotter at night, etc.’
- ‘As instructed, he turned off the headlights and slowly groped his way through the icy ruts, squinting to see by the parking lights' feeble orange glow.’
- ‘DRL's or no DRL's, people do not turn on their headlights when needed, or they turn on the parking lights.’
- ‘If it is raining heavily during the day or it is cloudy and dark, turn on your headlights or parking lights to ensure that other road users can see you.’
- ‘They do, however, switch from main beams to parking light.’
- ‘A police spokesman said: ‘The mototrists had broken the law by failing to display parking lights and the 42 fines given are non-endorsable.’’
- ‘Despite the Range Rover ahead leaving its parking lights on, I don't bother, figuring anyone coming along here has to be going slowly and with their lights on.’
- ‘Also housed in the lights' polycarbonate enclosures are the parking lights, side-turn markers and daytime running lights.’
- ‘Only his parking lights on, the biker ventured into the dark.’
- ‘All vehicles in Iceland must turn on low-beam headlights and exterior lights or parking lights anytime they are driven.’
- ‘Yet, they do not cross the highway to issue tickets to the illegal parkers, many of whom switch on their parking lights and leave their children in the back seat, trying to claim immunity.’
- ‘Do try to arrive before sunset so that your car lights won't disturb any observing in progress, and if possible, use your parking lights when leaving.’
- ‘Sharp new wrap-around headlights with ringed parking lights dominate the front-end, while a coupe-like roofline, rising sill line and distinct shoulder crease straddle short overhangs at both ends.’
- ‘The vehicle's red parking lights illuminated its rusted frame and camouflaged trailer against the hill's silhouette.’
- ‘Above the bumper, NASCAR has allowed manufacturers to retain car identity by maintaining some characteristics of their street cars, such as headlights, grill and parking lights.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.